Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Relationships....with food; Dinner fiaso

I have a love/hate relationship with soda. This was my starting idea for today's post. I just had to have some caffeine this morning, and a soda was my only option. It was so good, but I hated to have to drink one since I know how hard I worked to get them out of my diet. I also know how bad they are for me, but I just needed the caffeine (thank you, marketing final). So, here are a couple of foods that I love or hate.

LOVE- Almond milk. This is my absolute favorite thing to have in the morning. I can have it with cereal or by itself (or both!), and a cup is only 90 calories! I usually buy Almond Breeze (Vanilla, not unsweetened), but I know that there are a few other brands as well. This milk is lactose free, soy free, and has a great flavor that is slightly sweet and SO good.

HATE- Cottage Cheese. Ok, I have tried to eat this, but I just can't stand it! When I did the Body For Life diet/weight loss program, I really really tried to eat it, and I even added things like fruit to it, but it is just awful. I hate the smell, the look and the texture of it. I don't care too much for the taste of it, but that would be bearable if I could get past the texture of it. UGH!

LOVE- Broccoli. There are some veggies that I don't like, but broccoli is not one of them. I love broccoli; I love it raw, cooked, plain, with cheese sauce, and pretty much any other way you can think of. I really like the convenience of the microwaveable steamer packets. It's also convenient to be able to eat it raw. I don't like it when it's cooked too long and therefore all mushy, but otherwise, broccoli is hard to mess up. Which is good for people who can't cook....like me!

HATE- Hamburgers. I know, this is yet another reason why I'm weird. :-) I like to think of this as a good thing though, because it means I'm not tempted to pull in a drivethru and pick up a fatty, greasy, bad-for-me burger when I'm hungry. The one exception is homemade burgers, as in made from ground beef and grilled burger. As long as I know it came from lean ground beef, I can eat it, but if it's any other way, it practically turns my stomach. Ew!

Ok, so that's just a small sampling of what I like, especially when I'm eating healthy and trying to lose weight.

I exercised today for 20 minutes using my elliptical machine. I didn't like the workout I did though. I like to switch up the resistance and pace, but today's workout stayed at one resistance level almost the whole time, and only varied between 2 different paces. I know that doing intervals is key for weight loss, and this workout didn't include many of them. At least I still burned 240 calories.

Dinner was quite interesting tonight. I got a recipe that I tried about a week ago for a white bean soup from a friend, and I was super excited to try it. It was supposed to be really healthy and most of the ingredients were veggies. It looked complicated when I set out, but I was determined to make it. I spent FOREVER getting it ready, and then it took about 35 minutes to cook. I could tell that when it was done simmering it didn't look quite right. The next step was to put half into a blender so that the soup would be thicker and creamier. Well. That was just a disaster. Long story short-my kitchen was/is covered. in. soup. GAH! Seriously?!?!?! I just could not believe that as soon as I turned on the blender, the lid came right off. I was so mad. And at the same time I was laughing because, honestly, it was pretty funny. I'm not even sure it was worth it. The soup was awful. I must have done something wrong, because it was not like the soup that I tried last week. I think that if I could have gotten it all into the blender (without it going all over my kitchen), it would have been okay. Not great, but at least okay. All that effort, and I ended up eating a piece of soy chicken. I am so NOT a cook, and I'm not ashamed to admit it! I think I'll have to have some help to make that the right way....maybe next time!

Lastly, I created an FB fanpage! Go check it out and "Like" it!! :-)

Stay fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment