Saturday, August 25, 2012

4 miler

My goal for today's run was to go 6 miles. Turns out, I was shooting a bit too high :-). To explain, let me go back a little while.

About a month or two ago, I pulled my hip flexor muscle. I have had a lot of trouble recuperating it. I went almost 2 weeks with no running and then as soon as I ran again, it hurt again. I researched some ways to help and found lots of suggestions. I first bought some KT Tape, which worked pretty well for the short-term. This is what all the Olympic athletes were wearing, so I felt all professional. Plus it was bright pink and pretty :-P. I have also been using a heating pad on it that helps to loosen it up. I also started doing yoga to help stretch it out, which seems to have helped the most.

Once I felt like I was good and recovered, I started running again. I seemed to be able to do about 3 miles and then it felt like I was hitting a brick wall because the muscle would just tighten up so bad I could hardly move my leg forward!

So I've been taking it light, only running about once or twice a week since then. Before being sidelined, I had gotten up to 5.5 miles at a time. Since the injury, the most I've done at one time was 3.2 miles, and right around 2.75-3.0 miles is when my muscle starts getting really tight.

Considering the injury and the fact that since getting hurt I have gone no farther than 3.2 miles at once, I should have known that 6 miles was too much to shoot for.

Back to the present, once I got out and starting running today, I began to realize that 6 was going to be too much. I decided to just go and see how much farther than 3.2 miles I could get. At about 3.5 miles I knew I couldn't get much farther before I couldn't move my leg at all. So I headed back to the house, and made it home right at 4.0 miles.

Here's the stats from the run:

I feel like that is pretty good considering I had to stop a couple of times to stretch out my hip flexor, plus my warm up and cool down.

I'll probably get in some yoga time later to stretch out and help recuperate my muscles.

How are your weekend plans going? Are you dealing with any injuries?

No comments:

Post a Comment