Saturday, May 14, 2011

5K = Conquered!

Goal # 8 is finally accomplished! (even if it is a little lot late :-P ) I ran in my first ever 5K yesterday!

I ran with my sister-in-law and our 5 year old neice. Yes, a 5 year old! My main goal (besides finishing) was to just keep up with the 5 year old :-) Since my training didn't really go so well (aka- didn't really happen, haha), the 3.2 miles of this run was the farthest I had run since my early preggo days last July. So, I was expecting it to be super difficult and all I wanted to do was make sure I could keep up with the kid!

We started off strong, and got at least a mile behind us before we had to slow down the pace a little. The neice started getting tired at this point. We were able to keep her (and ourselves) motivated for a little bit longer before we had to stop and walk for a minute. From then on, she stopped and walked a few minutes here and there while my SIL and myself ran slowly beside her. We really wanted to be able to run the whole way, even if it was really slowly. I gave up and walked a time or two with my neice though :-)

Around the halfway point, a group of police cadets passed by us, and they really concerned the 5 year old! Lol!! They were chanting (or whatever you call it that they do), which kind of freaked her out, and they were catching up to us, and then passed us. She didn't like it that they were beating us, haha!! Competitive little chick :-) She wanted them to slow down so we (she) could "win"! But they didn't....so we kept pushing on.

When we had about 3/4 of a mile to go, she started really lagging, and I'll have to say I was getting pretty tired myself! We had to try and keep her motivated, and thankfully a lot of that last little bit was downhill.

Then, we FINALLY came in sight of the finish line! We almost sprinted towards it, and crossed it at an "official" time of 42 minutes and 4 seconds! Not bad for my first ever, and definitely not bad for the 5 year old girl! That averaged out to a 13 mintute 33 second mile! I'm happy with that for sure.

I was pretty beat when I got done, and my knees and hips HURT! I told myself I would feel accomplished once I recovered :-P I was proud, but I was so tired I pretty much didn't care.

I was expecting to be really sore today, but I feel pretty good! My knees have ached a little bit, but other than that I feel fine. I am so glad that I finished it, and it feels good to accomplish a great goal!! I hope I can do another one, but I may wait a month or two, haha!

Oh, and just in case anyone was wondering, the winner had a time of 15 minutes 19 seconds (TOTAL!), which was a 5 minute 3 second mile. WHOA! I have never run that good of a mile, even when I ran all the time. I would like to get that good, but I know that'll take a while. For now though, I'm good :-)

Lastly, a group photo of our "team":

My neice is in bright pink on the front row, my SIL in pink right behind her, and I'm behind my SIL in blue (yep, I was not matching...didn't get my shirt in time, oh well! Lol)

Have a fantastic weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! I had a dream last night that I ran 3 miles in 30 minutes. This may be my sign. I need to find a 5k to sign up for!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I'd love to do 3 miles in 30 minutes! You should definitely find one and do it, it feels great to accomplish it. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete