Monday, May 24, 2010

Overeating

Overeating is one of my biggest struggles. I don't know what it is that makes me continue eating even though I know I don't need it or I'm already full. It's like this compulsion. I just get so frustrated with myself for letting the compulsion win. I think that some of my problem is emotional eating, but not all of it. I definitely eat more when I'm upset or stressed, but I also eat when I'm bored or if food is there tempting me. I always feel horrible afterwards also. Like today. I went to Arby's and got a sandwich and fries. I lovelovelove Arby's. But I didn't need ALL of that food I ate. I felt so stuffed and lethargic after I ate, and I knew as I was eating that I should stop, but I didn't. I'm not sure how to conquer this struggle, but for now I think I'm going to try to just think about how bad I feel after overeating while I'm eating so that maybe that will stop me. If anybody has any ideas or suggestions, I am open to trying just about anything. I know that there are appetite suppressants out there, but most of them are expensive and possibly won't work or are even dangerous. I am trying to live healthier and keep mostly natural things in my diet, so additives like appetite suppressants are not really something I want to try. I am going to work on this issue, and I will post later on how it's going!

3 comments:

  1. I'd suggest this book that I'm reading! It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good! It's Women, Food, and God and it addresses just what you are struggling with. I got it about a week ago and it's changed my life, literally! Go get it! No really.... right now! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm so glad it has helped you. Maybe I will have time this weekend to look for it. I hope it will help me as much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, I know exactly how you feel. I am not sure if you read my "blog" about the Opera show, but it was kinda about that. I am trying to learn what do do. My twin Kat when she is pregnant, she can resist anything, and only eats until she is full, and can have a cake on her c'top with out touching it at all. This is SOOOOOO unlike us. It was this way with her first baby, and it is true again with her second. I don't know what causes this change, but it is very strange. The only time I can resist is if I can't taste or enjoy the food. This would be when I am sick and am stopped up and can't taste the flavor at all. This is the ONLY time I can stop when I am full, or if I am eating something that does not taste that good to me. Example (plain food w/out fat's, sugars, or simple carbs)It would be helpful for me to stop eating those trigger foods, but it's too hard to resist, and I have low will power. I wish there was some way to cut off my taste buds senses, before I get ready to eat. If I could take all the enjoyment out of eating, I would probably stop over eating. I know this is a long response, but I TOTALLY feel your pain. I want to do something about it. Once I find something that works, I will let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete